Call Us Today: +1 877 292 4888

How do I report sexual harassment in the workplace?

Step 1: Get a copy of your employer’s sexual harassment policies. They will cover procedures for how to report incidents of harassment. As a precaution, keep a copy of these policies outside of your workplace so that you are guaranteed access to it.

Secondly, keep in mind that you do not need to go through the company’s HR in order to report a sexual harassment case. The HR department is there to protect the company, not necessarily the employees. So if you feel that your HR department will not be empathetic to your case or are otherwise uncomfortable about approaching the company directly, you can always file a claim through the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH). This is a state agency that protects Californians from unlawful discrimination in the workplace. Another option is to file a complaint through the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). This is a federal body that enforces national anti-discrimination laws.

Obviously, if you feel that you are in immediate danger or are victim of sexual assault call 9-1-1 right away and report the incident to your local police.

Note: if you choose to leave the company it may become more difficult to prove your case. Additionally, proving you left because of an unsafe or hostile work environment is not easy. You will need to provide evidence showing that you’ve made a reasonable effort to address the harassment and your employer failed to help you. Before quitting, we strongly recommend contacting a lawyer for more information. They’ll be able to advise you on what to do before quitting in order to maintain a strong legal case.

To privately discuss reporting your sexual harassment incident or other Workers’ Compensation questions please call toll-free 1-877-292-4888 or visit to speak to an experienced trial attorney?